Assistant Accounting Department Manager
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Supervises: Accounting Associates
Level: Level 3
Location(s): Sanford, Maine
The Assistant Accounting Manager is a seasoned leader, team player and hands-on pro-active problem-solver. Will assist manager with responsibilities for all accounting functions, including preparation of financial reports and meeting all regulatory reporting deadlines. Responsible for supervision of accounting staff, the coordination of workflow and resolving problems of said employees. This position is also responsible for staff development including hiring, training and coaching as well as providing timely performance evaluations.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting with prior experience or seven or more years of accounting related experience in a banking environment. CPA designation a plus.
- Strong supervisory, communication and leadership qualities.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles, as well as good analytical, verbal, mathematical and written communication skills. Will need to be able to compose reports, letters, memos, emails, etc.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, computers and calculators. Must be proficient in Word and Excel.
- Needs to be able to work independently, and be a hands-on, problem-solver, proactive person.
- Must have the ability to adapt, multi-task, reprioritize, as well as provide accuracy and attention to details.
- Will need to be able to meet recurring deadlines for numerous functions and reporting requirements.
- May be asked or be required to attend courses or seminars related to all facets of the job. Training on or off-premise and during or after regular work hours may be necessary. Needs to be pro-active in maintaining job and supervisory skills.
Specific Job Functions:
- Maintain open lines of communication with Accounting Manager and CFO.
- Will be required to perform duties of Accounting Associate and be able to fill in for Accounting Manager.
- Manage overall department operations and ensure policies and procedures are being adhered to.
- Provides coordination of workflow, scheduling and guidance to staff when needed.
- Maintain detailed instructions, manuals and policies for the completion of various accounting tasks and reports. Will need to be able to compile policies and memos on task instructions and communicate/correspond with vendors and customers.
- This position is also responsible for staff development including hiring, training, coaching as well as providing timely performance evaluations, recommend salary adjustments and processing timecards.
- Will assist Manager in compiling and completing various financial reports for bank management and Directors, including the accurate completion of various financial reports including but not limited to Call Report, Abandoned Property Report, IRS reporting/filing other Federal and State Agency reports as well as preparation of audited financial statements.
- Assist and respond to auditors and bank examiners during their reviews.
- Maintain accounting department records and filing system.
- Oversee/review reconciliations and other accounting analysis on an on-going basis for accuracy and appropriate level of activities.
- Will need to have complete understanding of Bank GL system and how it relates to Bank core system.
- Will be responsible to resolve all G/L errors/issues in a timely and proper manner. Be required to assist other departments in researching their issues as it relates to GL mapping.
- Will be responsible for fixed assets and prepaid expenses.
- Maintain various investment activities and financial reports.
- Will be responsible to maintain up-to-date Bank correspondent contact information/documentation.
- Will be responsible for accurate, timely and documentation of accounts payable and ACH.
- Will need to schedule offsite testing for critical functions as necessary.
- Will need to be flexible to assist on other tasks and provide support as needed.
This Job Description describes the essential functions and qualifications of the job described. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities or qualifications of the job. This document is not intended to exclude modifications consistent with providing reasonable accommodations for a disability. This is not a contract.